Profile-Guided Optimization (PGO) Working Group
This working group aims to implement profile-guided optimization (PGO) in the Rust compiler.
- Team: wg-pgo on rust-lang/team
- Meeting Notes: All
- FAQ: FAQ
THIS WORKING GROUP HAS REACHED ITS GOALS AND IS IN RETIRED STATE. PGO IS AVAILABLE IN THE STABLE RUST COMPILER.
What is the goal of this working group?
This working group aims to accomplish the following:
- Implement and stabilize profile-guided optimization in
How can I get involved?
If you are interested in getting involved in this working group, send a message in the Zulip stream.
- Desired experience level: LLVM + PGO expert
- Relevant repositories:
- Zulip stream:
Are there any resources so I can get up to speed?
There are some resources available for those interested in contributing to get some background and context:
- Tracking issue: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/59913
- Clang’s documentation on PGO. Contains lots of useful information on PGO in LLVM.
- @emilio’s initial PR for adding experimental support for PGO.
- A presentation on Profile-based Indirect Call Promotion in LLVM, an optimization enabled by PGO
Do I need to attend any meetings?