Rustc Dev Guide WG 2019-05-14 sync meeting
- Define what’s the walkthrough section we want to add
- Triage missing rustc-dev-guide chapters
- How do we want to keep track of who is doing what? Does github Projects works nice for this?
Plan for walkthrough/overview chapter
- Goal is to have a chapter which will walk through compilation of simple program
- Links to other chapters for details
- This overview differs from the existing queries chapter in that the latter is more focused on how to create your own queries.
- lokalmatador is giving this a try & will open a PR at some point
rustc-dev-guide missing chapters
Topics that need to be added
- Monomorphization, Type Memory Layout, Codegen, LLVM
- Macros, hygiene, proc macros, custom derives, etc.
- Lexing and Parsing
- Walkthrough of a typical contribution
- The rest of
- Name Resolution
- Region Constraints
- SLG solver
- Type checking
- Constants, Promoted Constants in MIR
- Construction of MIR
- Borrow Check: Moves and initialization
- MIR Type check
- Various parts of NLL
- A large collection of potential improvements in the form of issues on the repo
- Would be good to schedule a lecture on each missing topic
- less work for the experts
- Can then transcribe into a chapter
- @spastorino will arrange lectures, nikomatsakis will create zoom
How do we want to keep track of who is doing what? Does github Projects works nice for this?
- planning to use github issues.
- Two issues were created to track existing work:
- discussed possible use of GH projects
- for now we will move TODO list to GH issues from dropbox